Why I chose to hack off my hair and color it blonde

I have been bothered by something lately and I wasn't able to put my finger on it until today on my way to the salon.

Last night, I decided I wanted to go from my blunt, chin-length, deep red hair style, to an edgy, blonde, pixie cut.

I have always wanted to attempt a pixie, but I never felt it would suit my face or that I was brave enough to feel pretty without long hair.

I have also been messing with my hair A LOT lately. I couldn't make up my mind about what I wanted to do with it and nothing was "quite right" for what I didn't know I was looking for.

I pinned some ideas on Pinterest last night. I was ready. This was going to happen in about a week at the earliest. I called the salon this morning... They could get me in a noon today.

HOLY CRAP! This was happening! Not only was it happening, but the time was 10:30AM, so it was happening in 90 minutes! No going back now!

While on my way to the salon, I toyed with ideas of how it would turn out and all of the dreaded "what if's" of the cut and color... Ultimately, the biggest and ever-present "what if" that I continuously came back to, was "what if no one likes it?"

That's when I realized that I was doing this no matter what.

Those thoughts, those emotions, those "what if's"... they haunt me. Every day. My past haunts me constantly!
"What if you're not good enough?"
"What if you fail?"
"What if you give up?"

DAMMIT! That's not who I am anymore!

I am a strong, positive, vibrant, powerful, kind young woman, with a big heart and a great deal of potential just waiting for me to unlock it! And I started that process by picking up the key today to unlock all of that potential, oozing through the cracks of my past, waiting for me to focus on what really matters...
"What if I'm great, and that's what matters?"

So, the dramatic cut represents the shedding my my past mistakes and bumps along the way. I won't forget about them, but damn, am I ready to let them go!

The blonde color is as close as I could get to the idea of a white board, and wiping my slate clean and starting fresh.

I've never felt so beautiful in my own skin, and I love it!

When we begin to let go of our what hinders us in the past, from our future, we begin to learn that all that matters is that we are kind, love one another, and love ourselves unconditionally.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stigma

Mending the heart

Just another manic... Wednesday?