A what kind of uterus?!

So, I went to get an IUD put in place the other day at the doctor's office. Everything was going well until they couldn't find my cervix. They told me I would likely have to reschedule for next week until I told them that I was leaving in two days for a week-long camping trip. They immediately made a call up to the OB/GYN and were able to get me in.

"Why the urgency?" I thought to myself as I climbed the stairway to the second floor of the hospital, to the OB/GYN's offices.

I got in to see the nurse very quickly. She explained that the doctor would go over the IUD with me as well as any other birth control options I may have not yet considered.

Okay. No biggie.

The doctor comes in and sits down. Instantly, I decide that I like him. Soon enough I would find out that I like him A LOT!

He begins to talk to me about my past, about my surgery I had in fifth grade on my uterus...
I was having pain underneath my butt cheek in my left leg. So much so that I was unable to walk around to my classes at school. I couldn't even make it around Target the night it occurred. My mom found me sitting in an aisle, crying.
Well, after a lot of testing and screenings (and a lot of doctors who just wanted to get rid of us with a simple "pulled hamstring" answer), I found out that half of my uterus was blocked and the ovary was swelling so badly that it was pinching a nerve in my leg.
I had to have surgery immediately.
Absolutely, hands down, the scariest day of my life.
I had never had surgery! I didn't know what to expect. This was major surgery on a 10-11 year old girl.
So, we did it and they explained to my that I had a bicornate uterus... Okay... What the hell does that mean?
I guess they explained it, but I was traumatized! How the heck was I supposed to keep up with all of the information that was being thrown at me, like a fast ball after fast ball.

Back to current day, talking to the doctor...
He says that I have a bicornate uterus.

Okay. Nothing I haven't heard before.

Well, then he draws me the picture...
Basically, this is what he drew:

Okay. So my uterus looks like a heart... What exactly does this mean?

Then he delivers the blow... Or what I always think I knew, but finally, someone had the guts to tell me... I am much more likely to miscarry or get pregnant and deliver prematurely... about 20 weeks prematurely is what he said. 

Okay. So things are not looking good on the future pregnancy front.

That's okay. I always knew something wasn't right in the back of my mind, but no one obviously had the guts to tell me the truth! Now I know what is going on with my body and why I have miscarried in the past. I officially liked this doctor, and respected him like crazy!

So, an IUD would obviously not work in my uterus... Here's a picture of an IUD in a "normal" uterus to give anyone who doesn't know a framework:
Yup!

So I got the birth control that goes in your arm and lasts about 5 years. 

Currently, Matt and I do not want children. We don't know about the future. We've talked about a surrogate, adoption, fostering, and also not even having children. 

Either way, we feel this is meant to be and that we were meant to be together with one another.

I love my husband and how he handles these types of things, and how he treats me with love and kindness. I feel so honored to get to walk this life with my hand in his.

Yeah. That's love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stigma

No worries!

Just another manic... Wednesday?