Letting go of the hate

Sounds easy enough, right? Well, it isn't.

From my point of view it wasn't easy.

I was a pessimist and I lived in a dark hole within my head, allowing my negative thoughts to cloud my mind and trick me into thinking that they were keeping me warm at night.

They weren't.

I picked fights with anyone and everyone. I was always on the lookout for someone who disagreed with me, just so I could start arguing with them. I fought with my family, friends, husband, strangers on social media -- you name it! Everyone who entered my life and cross my path was at risk for hearing the overwhelming shouts and aggressive assertion of my opinions.

I don't know how it happened. I am not sure where or when I began to realize it, but I was not happy with myself and I was projecting my self-hatred onto others in, what I believed to be, the form of my opinions on certain topics and discussions.

It was so unhealthy and I was losing friends and respect fast! But honestly, did it even matter? I didn't respect myself, so why would I care if anyone else had respect for me.

It wasn't until I found true happiness within myself that I realized just how pessimistic I was. I allowed those negative thoughts to "blanket" me in hopes that they would keep me warm. But the thoughts were full of holes and shredded beyond belief. Have you ever tried to keep yourself warm with a blanket full of holes? It doesn't work very well.

Happiness was easy to find in every day things. In little things. In big things. In the smiles and hearts of those around me.

However, where happiness was difficult to find was within myself. I had to tear myself down and rip myself apart to rebuild myself from the ground up -- this time, I had a much more sturdy foundation to start from.

I was amazed how quickly I was able to regain myself and how easy it was to build myself back up when working from a place of self-love and optimism.

Building yourself up with self-hate and pessimism is the equivalent of using bricks and masking tape. Yeah, masking tape barely sticks to bricks.

Yet, when you work on building yourself from a place of happiness and love for yourself, you are working with the right tools you need for success within all areas of your life.

You learn a lot about yourself throughout this process, or at least I know I have.

I've learned when to discuss (not argue), when to stand up for myself, when to take much needed "me-time", when to help and when to simply walk away.

I have also, and most importantly, learned when to let go of the hate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stigma

Just another manic... Wednesday?

Mending the heart