Jumping on the bandwagon

I don't know if my loyal readers have noticed or not, but I have a bad tendency of jumping on the bandwagon (the latest trend, fad diets, whatever is new at the time) -- Who, ME?! NO WAY! (Haha!)

My therapist and I have been talking about this lately, and I'm trying to keep heading in the good direction I've been heading down, but it's so hard in today's society. We all just want the quick fix. But after being in therapy with a therapist I really respect for almost a year now, and seeing the slow, but steady progress I've made over this time -- well it just goes to show that I'm doing well, but there are no quick fixes. Good things come with time, patience, and strength to keep pushing through.

I really want to lose weight, but how could I have ever focused on that when my life -- well, let's be honest -- it was pretty much in shambles back then. (Obviously, it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but I definitely love where I'm at now compared to back then.)

My therapist's biggest concerns about my "bandwagon-ing" is that I start off so excited and so pumped up about everything, but then I have a bad day or couple of days, and it all spirals from there. The guilt sets in in my mind, the negative self talk comes back, screaming louder than ever, and everyone's telling me, "It was just a bad couple of days!" When in MY reality, the guilt of those "couple of bad days" is all-consuming.

So, how do I avoid this? -- I don't entirely know yet. I'm still learning how to not belittle, or beat myself up when I screw up, well, anything! I want the quick fix to losing weight, and feeling great about myself -- everyone does! However, as some dear friends have told me, it is best to take baby steps, and make small changes instead of trying to 180 your whole life all at once.

Speaking of baby steps -- 2 things:
1. Matt and I are babysitting our nephew today and it is SO GREAT! I love him so stinking much!
2. I took a baby step and e-mailed my friend -- she responded and it was so good to hear from her! I hope she has a great day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stigma

Just another manic... Wednesday?

Mending the heart