Career Fair!

My school hosted a career fair today at their Brooklyn Park location. My mom and I both attended it.

At first when I received the email regarding the career fair, I was like, "Oh sure I'll sign up." But I truly had no intention of going. I'm interested, however, I just began this career path and I don't think it will benefit me very much.

Well, my advisor kept emailing me about the career fair this, the career fair that. Then, my admissions advisor gives me a call and leaves me a voicemail... She tells me how happy she would be to accept my LinkedIn connection, and then she proceeds to ask me if I am attending the career fair...
HOLY CRAP! I GET THE HINT!

Ha ha!

Well, I finally tell my therapist that I will not be able to attend therapy this week and that I'm going to the career fair. Yeah... they won me over.

My mom and I get there and there are tons of advisors to greet us and direct us to the correct location for my mock interview where I will be interviewed and then critiqued on my interview style. Yeah, I'm that nerd that actually enjoys interviewing and signed up to do it for fun, while others were required for a class! The interviewer got a kick out of me and rated me very well. It felt so good because that is an area I feel I AM good at!

After the interview, we sat in on an employer panel and listened to three recruiters from differing fields speak about their experiences with resumes, cover letters, interviews, thank you notes, and what they look for in a stand-out candidate. It was SO informative and so interesting! I took a crazy amount of notes and I was shaking because I was so excited about all of it!

Once the panel was complete, I hung around that location to get a professional LinkedIn profile picture taken, and then I went and spoke with health care field recruiters who are hiring and accepting volunteers.

It was so promising and so uplifting that these people needed people in my field and they said that my career is always in high-demand. Even the Mayo Clinic said they needed people severely in my career field! Awesome!

From all of this, I have updated my resume and LinkedIn, gained a great deal of knowledge, learned that research is a part of every day life, and that relocation could possibly be in our future! (Don't worry yet!)

I am excited about my career choice and future! It seems so bright and promising!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stigma

Mending the heart

Just another manic... Wednesday?