Mania and Money - What to do... I think...

When I'm manic, my vice is to spend money. Whether it is going to Target for one thing and leaving with $200 worth of product, or going online and shopping on websites for myself, others, whatever. Or... There's the devil itself... Groupon!

Last week, I was down in the slumps and depressed. I wasn't cleaning, doing chores, eating, sleeping way too much.

My therapist and I made a schedule for me so I had a reason to get out of bed every day. And every evening I make a schedule for myself for the next day. I personally, crave structure and find this to be very helpful.

Unfortunately, by the end of the week last week, I was done being depressed and I was in full-blown manic mode. (I've been living on the manic mode more of the time than the depressed mode, but most of the time I'm pretty average.) So, I did some online shopping. I went out to eat. I was not very good.

Luckily, Matt and I got to prepare for an amazing weekend alone up north and before we left, we discussed our bills, going out to eat, and spending in general. I pinterest-ed some budget, spending, and saving worksheets. We created a budget binder. And we began to fill it out.

I did the calculations that Matt read off to me and filled in the budget worksheets, while Matt filled out bills and balanced the check book. I was upset about some things and pleasantly surprised with a couple of other things I discovered while helping Matt do the bills.

We have decided that we are going to jointly pay bills and work on the budget together. It's no longer just my job or just Matt's job. This is a partnership and we are helping each other out, so we need to work together in this relationship on our spending (especially mine) and our budgeting because we are planning great things for our future.

Basically, I'm saying one should have their finances supervised when you are living with mania. I also, firmly, believe in independence and living as independently as possible, so I feel that if you are living with bipolar disorder, the person who is "mostly" in charge of your finances (someone you trust very well) should go over your spending habits, budget, and savings with you! You need to know what is going on with your money, whether you are in control of it or not. Independence is a beautiful thing... I hope I can get there someday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stigma

Just another manic... Wednesday?

Mending the heart