My Intentions.

Hi. My name is Jill and I was diagnosed in August of 2008 with bipolar disorder.

The first response I typically get from that statement is, "So... You're, like, crazy?"

I can't help but chuckle on the inside at this. And believe me, with what my husband has seen he would have to disagree with me, but no, I am not crazy.

So what is bipolar disorder?

According to http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/bipolar-disorder/index.shtml
"Bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in mood, energy, activity levels, and the ability to carry out day-to-day tasks. Symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe. They are different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through from time to time. Bipolar disorder symptoms can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide. But bipolar disorder can be treated, and people with this illness can lead full and productive lives."

It's easy to look at a person with bipolar disorder and call them "emotional", "sensitive", and even "high strung", but this is not the case.

Life is very different when it is viewed through the eyes of someone living with bipolar disorder. It is not easy to feel every emotion, mood, and feeling so deeply. And for a good majority of the time, people tend to not understand.

It's not that people don't care, or don't want to understand. Your loved ones want nothing more than to know why you are so happy/angry/hurt by just a few simple words or actions. But, as I have found time and time again, there are no words, written or spoken, that can help the outsiders to look in to our minds and experience what we experience so deeply. Don't worry though! Despite occasionally being extremely frustrated with you, they still love you.

I digress.

The purpose of this blog is to open up my heart, my mind, and my life to those who don't understand, but would like to try to. And even for those who are just simply curious. I want to educate (my mom was a teacher; it's in my blood), and I want to learn. But most of all, I want to help others who are going through what I'm going through.

If I can help just one person to learn from my mistakes, then this will have been a success.

Don't get me wrong. I am terrified to open up my personal life like this. But I have been spared some pain by reading the stories of others, so I'm hoping to do the same for someone else.

Please feel free to leave comments, questions... Any type of feedback.

And thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stigma

Mending the heart

Just another manic... Wednesday?