To the lady on the other end of the phone...

Dear Lady on the other end of the phone,

This is not easy for me, telling a stranger why I shouldn't have to work and why I should qualify for social security disability benefits.

I've always thought of myself as a strong woman who perseveres through anything life throws my way...

That job didn't work out? No problem! On to the next.
That job caused seizures? No worries, there's more out there.
This job caused panic attacks... Okay... moving on.
That job made you slip into a deep depression for days and days? Um... keep your chin up...
This job? That job? Back and forth, back and forth. Bouncing around from one thing to the next...

I CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE!

I may not have the ability to work full time, but I do have the strength to know what I can't do and when I have to say enough is enough!

I have pretended for far to long that everything is okay and that this job will be the one that works out... No more!

Dear lady on the other end of the phone,

I can't name every job I've ever had and the dates I had them from memory when I am so stressed out about what you're about to tell me... You hold my future in your hands, and I am terrified! Please show some kindness and respect to those who are in need.

Dear lady on the other end of the phone,

DO NOT try to put the words in my mouth that I just "don't want to work". I have wanted and have been trying to work for the past five years... I have a mental illness and it has not been working out. As I'm sure you can tell by the fact that the longest job I have had was from 2008 to 2010, and all the rest have been three months or less.

Dear lady on the other end of the phone,

You just put me on hold to discuss with an attorney whether or not I have a chance at getting disability...

My heart is racing, I'm starting to cry, my husband is holding me. This is our future. This is my life, and my husband's because he has chosen to walk this path with me out of the love in his heart. We cannot and will not survive without this.

Please hear my cry for help.

To the lady on the other end of the phone who just told me congratulations and that the attorney thinks I have a very good case and a great chance at qualifying... You just made my day... Probably more like my week...

The next two years are going to be long and hard with a lot of self-examination and a lot of questions about my past... Opening up is not easy, but sometimes it is necessary.

Thank you lady. And thank you, God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stigma

Just another manic... Wednesday?

Mending the heart